Dental plaques are one of the leading causes of dental issues in Nigeria. Dental plaques are those sticky colorless substances that constantly build up on the tooth and when hardened, forms calculus also known as tartar.
What causes dental plaque?
Every day, we eat food containing carbohydrates (starches and sugar) such as cakes, biscuits, soft drinks, milk etc. Particles from these foods frequently stick to our teeth and gum especially when the mouth is not properly cleaned resulting to the formation of dental plaques. Plaques allow bacteria to grow and multiply on them and release its toxic by-products that destroys the hard tissues of the teeth and cause inflammation of the gum
What are the signs and symptoms of dental plaque?
- Pain and bleeding while brushing
- Swollen gums
- Bad breath
- Signs of blood when eating bread or apple
- Bitter taste
How do you prevent dental plaques?
- Practicing good oral hygiene by brushing twice a day (morning and evening), flossing teeth at least once daily.
- Visiting the dentist twice yearly (every six months) for professional examination, scaling and polishing.
- Maintaining good eating habits. Some foods and beverages are better for your teeth than others. Avoid food with a propensity to get stuck in grooves and pits of the teeth. Also, some food such as vegetables, fresh fruits, sugar-free gums increase salivary flow which helps to remove food particles.