Rich is a professor of Ophthalmology. She is currently a member of the National Steering Committee on Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) and an author of over 80 peer reviewed publications in reputable journals. Her interests include scientific research in eye and tropical diseases. Some of her past administrative positions include:
- Head, Department of Ophthalmology, UNN/UNTH;
- Dean, Faculty of Medical Sciences, UNN;
- Deputy Vice Chancellor, UNN Enugu Campus;
- Director, Global Health Initiative, UNN;
- Chairman, Health Research Ethics Committee, UNTH;
- Chairman, Faculty of Ophthalmology, National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria;
- Principal Investigator- several WHO/TDR sponsored research projects on Onchocerciasis and childhood fevers;
- Consultant facilitator – African Programme for Onchocerciasis Control;
- Principal investigator – PATH/GSK/WHO sponsored project on childhood malaria vaccine.
She earned a B.M,B.Ch degree in Medicine from UNN, a Diploma in Ophthalmology (UK) and M.Sc (CEH) from the University of London. She is a Member of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (UK), Fellow of the National Postgraduate College of Nigeria and Fellow of West African College of Surgeons.